Booking Terms and Conditions
- Booking a Workshop
Workshops may be booked:
- On-line at: https://sisbookings.powerappsportals.com/en-US/
- by fax, mail, e-mail
- Every effort will be made to fulfill your request.
- Payment for Completed Workshop
Schools are responsible for full payment of workshop fees upon receipt of an invoice from Scientists in School following completion of each workshop.
- Rescheduling a Workshop
If a workshop cannot take place as scheduled, we will make every effort to reschedule the workshop.
- Cancellation of a Booked Workshop
When you book your workshop with Scientists in School, we reserve that time just for you. We ask that you provide as much time as possible to cancel a workshop. We require a minimum of one business day (24 hours) to cancel a workshop or your school will incur the full cost of the workshop.
At Scientists in School, respect for the views and needs of our colleagues, supporters and partners is a core value. One aspect of this is protection of privacy and the confidentiality of any personal information we collect.
The Scientists in School website is intended to serve as a tool to inform users about the organization and its programs, and to give teachers, parents, community organizations and individuals an opportunity to become involved with our organization. It is also intended to help us maintain strong relationships with our partners and supporters (including school boards, educators, local scientists, parents, corporations, government agencies, community groups and any others who share our passion for science literacy), build a strong constituency and raise funds to support our mission of igniting scientific curiosity in young people.
In using the website you may, if you choose to do so, provide your name, contact information and other information for purposes related to accessing our services or donating to our charity. In return, we strive to be accountable and transparent in how we treat the information you choose to share with us.
Scientists in School complies with applicable privacy legislation, and has developed the following privacy principles applicable to processing personal information:
Collection of Personal Information
Collection of personal information is conducted in a fair and lawful manner, and with your express or implied consent. Consent is implied when you voluntarily submit your information to us, for example when you email us, sign up for our e-newsletter, respond to a survey, submit a workshop request, or submit an entry to a contest. In such case, the information that you submit will only be used and disclosed to accomplish the purposes for which you submitted it and reasonable related purposes.
Use of Personal Information
Personal information that Scientists in School collects is used only for the purposes for which it was collected and to serve you better. With respect to the latter, Scientists in School keeps school boards, educators, local scientists, parents, corporations, government agencies, community groups and any others who share our passion for science literacy, informed of program activities by mailing or emailing them occasional updates such as our newsletter or program catalogues or an invitation to participate in surveys or opportunities. Scientists in School keeps its stakeholders informed of donor opportunities by mailing or emailing them occasional updates and appeals for support. If at any time you would prefer not to receive mail and/or email from Scientists in School, please tell us and we will honour your request.
Access to Personal Information
Procedures are in place to ensure that access to information is limited only to authorized personnel. Scientists in School employees who have access to personal information, such as individuals who perform administrative, record keeping and other services for Scientists in School, are well-versed on the procedures that must be taken to safeguard confidentiality of personal information, including donor information.
Protection of Personal Information
We strive to ensure that the integrity of your information is maintained, and to prevent its being lost, destroyed or improperly accessed. Please note, however, that no data transmission over the Internet is completely secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you provide to us, and you transmit such information to us at your own risk.
- Disclosure of Personal Information: Personal information collected by Scientists in School is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purposes for which it was collected. We do not sell or rent donor lists or other personal information to any third parties. However, information may be disclosed without consent where permitted or required by law, including in response to a legal obligation such as a lawful disclosure order.
- Volunteers and Contractors: Personal information about our volunteers and independent contractors is only collected, used and disclosed for purposes directly related to our relationship with such persons. For example, the name and contact information of presenters will be used by Scientists in School to communicate with such individuals about planned or potential sessions, and such information may also be provided to teachers or other employees at schools where the individual has scheduled a presentation. In addition, Scientists in School collects personal information about independent contractors for the purposes of: verifying their identity (e.g., viewing drivers’ license or other identity document); ensuring the safety of students with whom they may come into contact (e.g., criminal and vulnerable person checks); and administering payments (e.g., Social Insurance Numbers).
- Surveys and Contests: When you respond to a survey or enter a contest, you provide Scientists in School with answers, opinions and other potentially personal information. We may also use your suggestions and opinions to improve our programs and services. Personal information submitted in connection with contests will be used for the purpose of awarding a prize. When you participate in either a survey or contest, we may send you information about our organization that we believe may be of interest, as well as materials related to our fundraising efforts. If at any time you would prefer not to receive mail or email from Scientists in School, you can contact us using the contact information provided below, and we will honour your request.
- Retention of Personal Information: Scientists in School retains personal information for the period that it is required for the purposes outlined above. Once the information is no longer required for such purposes, or other lawful purposes, it will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. If you do not want Scientists in School to continue collecting, using, storing or disclosing your personal information, you may contact us using the information set out below. Please note, however, that Scientists in School may retain your information as necessary for legal purposes, including for the period required to comply with any applicable legal standards.
- Updating Personal Information: We do not routinely update personal information unless necessary. However, if our records are inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct your personal information at your request. Please note, however, that there may be times when we are unable to fulfill your request, such as when there is a dispute with respect to the accuracy of your personal information.
- Questions, Concerns and Access Requests: If you have questions, concerns or problems about privacy or confidentiality, we encourage you to let us know. All complaints are investigated and we will follow-up with you within 15 business days. You can also request access to your personal information. Please note, however, that there may be times when we are unable to fulfill your request, such as when providing access to your personal information would reveal confidential information or personal information about a third party (and we are unable to separate your data), or in other circumstances where we are permitted or required by law to refuse access.
- Contact Us: If you have any privacy concerns, please contact our Privacy Officer at our Head Office at:
Scientists in School
975 Dillingham Road, Unit 2
Pickering, Ontario L1W 1Z7
905-837-9626 / 1-866-678-3434
Amendments to this Policy
We regularly review our privacy practices to ensure that we are in compliance with applicable privacy legislation and operating in a manner that upholds Scientists in School’s core values and your trust in us. This policy may be changed from time to time in our quest for continuous improvement. Any changes to our policy will be reflected in this posting and your continued use of this site will mean you accept those changes.
- Use of Website or External Links
Scientists in School is not responsible in any manner for direct, indirect, special or consequential damages, however caused, arising out of your use of this website and/or any web browser, including any damages you may suffer if you transmit confidential or sensitive information to us or if we communicate such information to you at your request over the Internet.
There are links on the Scientists in School website to other sites outside of our service. These are provided solely for your convenience. The operation and content of such third party websites is beyond our control, and we do not endorse in any manner or accept any liability for the content or other materials that may be contained on, or sold through, such websites.
Scientists in School endeavours to ensure that all information on this website is accurate or complete or current at all times. However, information is provided for informational purposes only and Scientists in School cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, appropriateness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of proprietary rights regarding any information, materials or other documents, which are on, or referenced by, or linked to, the Scientists in School website.
Under no circumstances will Scientists in School or any of its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, sponsors, or any other Scientists in School stakeholder involved in creating, producing, or distributing Scientists in School’s content be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages (including but not limited to loss of profits, goodwill, use of data or other intangible losses) that result or arise from (a) the use of and reliance on the Scientists in School website or the information thereon, (b) the inability to use the Scientists in School website, (c) mistakes, omissions, interruptions, suspension, termination, deletion of files or email, errors, defects, viruses, delays in operation or transmission, or any failure of performance with respect to the Scientists in School website, including without limitation those that result from acts of god, communications failure, theft, destruction, or unauthorized access to Scientists in School’s records, programs, or services, (d) merchandise, products, or services received through or advertised on Scientists in School’s website and merchandise, products, or services received through or advertised on any links provided on Scientists in School’s website, (e) information or advice received through or advertised on Scientists in School’s website and information or advice received through or advertised on any links provided on Scientists in School’s website and (f) any information, data, text, messages and other materials that you email, post, upload, reproduce, transmit or otherwise distribute using Scientists in School’s website.
- Intellectual Property Rights
The concepts, content, design, content, logos, graphics, audio and images on www.scientistsinschool.ca are, unless otherwise noted, the property of Scientists in School. You may download the content on this website for personal, non-commercial use only. Reference must be given to Scientists in School and any other authors, where applicable.
Images and photographs may not be reproduced, stored, made available, or transmitted without the express written permission of Scientists in School.
Scientists in School has made its best efforts to identify and credit content and images that are not the property of Scientists in School. However, unintentional errors or omissions may have occurred. If this is the case, please contact our Executive Director. Images on this site may not be reproduced, resold, stored, made available, or transmitted without the express written permission of Scientists in School.